History: Canal Wood
Eight Decades as a Leading Timber Brokerage
Canal Wood was originally established on September 17, 1937 by E. Craig Wall, Sr. and R. H. Gibson. Headquartered in Conway, South Carolina, Canal Wood began as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Canal Industries, founded to supply pulpwood to the newly-formed International Paper pulpwood mill located in Georgetown, South Carolina.
In the company’s early years, Canal Wood was a focused provider of timber brokerage, raw wood fiber procurement, and reforestation services. Over the coming decades, Canal Wood carefully expanded its operating capabilities and geographic presence with the goal of becoming a regional industry leader. By the year 2000, Canal Wood was specializing in raw wood fiber procurement and reforestation services in eleven states across the Southeast, servicing over 400 manufacturing facilities annually.