The timber buyer will manage an assigned region and supply the best value and quality of wood delivered to various facilities while, at the same time, understanding and adhering to company policies and processes. Key goals in this position are to ensure the continuity of supply, low costs, and acceptable quality. The timber buyer will develop and manage sources of supply weekly within agreed upon targets. Specific job duties include cruising, purchasing, and harvesting coordination of tracts of standing timber while operating within company and regulatory guidelines.
- Source tracts of timber and negotiate sale price
- Develop and maintain productive logger and producer relationships, including relationships with logging crews
- Develop and manage sources of gatewood, providing the best balance of quality and continuity of supply, within current pricing guidelines
- Stay within agreed upon guidelines for committed volume
- Accurately appraise standing timber purchase opportunities. Manage the harvest of these tracts to ensure the promised rate of return and cutouts.
- Seek out new opportunities for sources of supply
- Must be a self starter with the ability to work under little to no supervision
Education and Experience –
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in forestry management or closely related field is preferred
- Experience commensurate with formalized training or education within a forestry related field may be considered.
- 1 to 2 years of purchasing experience in timber or land procurement. Excellent negotiating and interpersonal skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Degree in Forestry, or HS diploma plus 2+ years of experience in wood procurement
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Flex Spending Plans
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Accident, Long-Term Disability, and Life Insurance